From dwelling in the garden to French foods, snails have now found their way into Korean skincare products. The hype around the snail mucin has been doing the rounds for quite someyears now.Often touted as the holy-grail of anti-aging, snail mucin has so much more to offer…
In today’s post, we would like to dwell on what the snail hype is all about.
BACK TO HISTORY
The buzz around the skin benefits of snail mucin were created by Korean skincare brands. Little do we know that the hype around the snail mucin were started long time back in the Ancient Greece. It was reportedly used as a skin treatment to reduce inflammation. Years later, the skin wonders of snail mucin were noticed by snail breeders in Chile. They realized that their skin had become visibly softer after handling the snails for a long time. This discovery led to the launch of a Chilean snail product called the Elicina.
Today, Korean products formulated with the goodness of snail mucin in the form of serums or creams has totally captured the US, European and Asian markets. With all the skin benefits it offers, looks like the snail mucin products are here to stay.
THE SCIENCE BEHIND THE SNAIL SLIME
Over the years, a lot of interest has been generated around the snail mucin for the beauty benefits it offers. The snail mucus that we are talking about is usually harvested from the garden snails. You may wonder how the snail mucins are harvested for cosmetic products.
In the past, the snails were stimulated with some kind of stress to extract their mucins for cosmetic purpose. The trend has changed in the recent years, with beauty companies showing their commitment not to harm the snails in the harvesting process. Nowadays, the snails are lab-grown in a very relaxing environment, allowing them to get proper rest to get optimal mucin secretion.
BENEFITS OF SNAIL MUCIN
The mucin holds ingredients with major skin benefits like glycoproteins, glycolic acid, copper peptides and hyaluronic acid. Skin experts are reveling in the benefits this snail mucin holds.
Snail mucus is a storehouse of hyaluronic acid, that allows your skin to seal in moisture. This prevents a dry skin and gives you a radiant and dewy look. It comes with great anti-aging potential as it improves fine lines and wrinkles due to production of collagen.
Snail mucin is suitable for any type of skin. It can benefit both dry and oily skin. This slimy mucus is a versatile skincare agent that helps in healing acne scars, hyperpigmentation, inflammation while improving the overall skin texture.
IS IT CRUELTY FREE?
No snails are killed or harmed in the process of collecting its slimy mucus.Different companies have different procesess of harvesting. Cosrx’s method of harvest involves allowing the snails to crawl into a mesh net in a dark room, as they nocturnal animals for about half an hour. During this time, the mesh nets are heated to a moderate temperature to increase the humidity level. This increase in temperature, also called the terranium effect increases the secretion of mucin from the snails. Once the slimy mucus are secreted, they are then collected and treated for cosmetic use.When the process of secretion is completed, the snails are later transferred back to their own natural territory.
During this process of harvesting, no stress is placed on the snails as the mucin secretion production is most ideal when they are well-relaxed.
So, with all the skin benefits it offers, there is no reason why you should not incorporate this snail mucin ingredient in your skin routine.It is the ultimate powerhouse of skin benefits – slather on and let your skin enjoy its benefits.
Below is a list of Beauty barn’s best-selling and an all-time favorite list of Snail skincare products.
1. Cosrx Advanced Snail 96 Mucin power essence – Loaded with a heavy dose of snail mucin extract, it helps in replenishing and repairing damaged skin.
2. Cosrx Advanced Snail 92 All in one cream – Formulated with 92% of snail mucin, it deeply nourishes the skin, while treating irritated and uneven skin tones.
3. Benton Snail Bee High content SKIN – This toner comes with the goodness of bee venom that promotes collagen production, improves skin texture and hydrates skin.
4. Benton Snail Bee ultimate serum–As the name suggests, it really is the ultimate serum that repairs skin, fights acne scars and blemishes, improves wrinkles and brightens up the skin tones.
5. Benton Snail Bee High content steam cream – Blended at a high temperature using steam method, this cream provides long lasting moisturizes and improves the skin’s complexion.
6. Benton Snail Bee High content essence–Combined with star ingredients like snail mucin, bee venom and EGF (a Nobel prize ingredient), this essence is infused with the richness of proteins and vitamins to transform your dull skin into glowing skin.
7. Some By Mi Snail Truecica Miracle repair serum – Packed with super power ingredients like snail mucin, truecica, licorice root extract, centella Asiatica, green tea and propolis extracts, this serum is truly an all in one skin regenerating serum.
8. Some By Mi- Miracle repair cream– Formulated with a high dose of Snail truecica and ceramide components, this cream delivers deep moisturization and strengthens skin barrier.
9. Purito Snail repair Advanced serum– This serum comes with powerful anti-aging ingredients that promote collagen level, hydrates your skin, strengthen skin barrier, reduce acne scars and blemishes.