1. Snail Mucin Filtrate: The wackiest and most worthy ingredient that actually drove the people to the Korean skincare trend. Also, I can assure that while retrieving the Snail Mucin no snails are harmed. In fact in one of the Cosrx Master class in India, I learned that the brand Cosrx feed their snail good quality ginseng and shelter them in the best environment, as the happy snail generates the best quality of snail mucin; the snails are actually freely left on a perforated platform, where they crawl freely leaving behind the snail mucin, which is then collected and processed, thereby named as “filtrate”.
I call snail mucin is a complete food for skin (but not in an edible form! LOL!), it provides nutrition to the skin, makes it soft, bright, boost skin collagen, calms the skin, and over the time slowly and definitely helps in fading acne scars and even tones the skin.
Some of my favorite Snail Products, for all skin types, are:
- Cosrx Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence.
- Cosrx Advanced Snail 92 All in one Cream.
- Tiam Snail & Azulene Sleeping Pack.
2. Centella Asiatica: This is an ancient skincare ingredient, which has not only been used in East Asian countries as a remedy for multiple skin and health concern but has also been a part of our Indian Ayurveda. Centella Asiatica is also known as Tiger Herb or Asiatic Pennywort or Gotu Kola or Brahmi or Indian Pennywort.
If you see a product labeled as “Cica”, “Centella” and “Tiger Grass”, the product definitely contains Centella Asiatica as its main ingredient and/ or its bioactive derivatives “Asiaticoside”, “Madecassic acid”, “Asiatic acid” and “madecassoside”.
Centella is suitable for all skin types, even the most sensitive and acne prone skin type. It helps in healing the active acne, fading the acne scars, boost skin collagen, reduce skin redness and strengthen the skin barrier. It pretty much does provide similar skin benefits as that of snail mucin filtrate but is more oriented towards skin/ wound healing properties. Also, if you are not comfortable with the snail mucin filtrate, Centella is your abode!
Nowadays there are N numbers of Centella enriched products, you can just pick any, but my top 3 would be:
- Cosrx One Step Green Hero Calming Pad.
- Troiareuke ACSEN TOC Toner.
- Cosrx Centella Blemish Cream.
3. Mugwort: This is another sensitive and acne prone skin friendly ingredient that has taken over the skincare community by storm. From past 1 year, I am seeing many brands launching “mugwort” aka “Artemisia” line, like not a single product but an entire range!
Mugwort has excellent skin calming and detoxification properties. So, if you happen to have skin inflammation because of acne, Rosacea, rashes, general irritation, etc., this ingredient is for you. Mugwort also has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-microbial property just like tea tree oil, so if your skin reacts to the tea tree extract or oil, this can be an amazing alternative.
The brand “I’m From” has a dedicated line of Mugwort Products:
- I’m From Mugwort Essence
- I’m From Mugwort Sheet Mask
- I’m From Mugwort Cream
- I’m From Mugwort Mask
4. Propolis: If you are someone who hates facial oil, but still needs a safe product for that extra skin nourishment, propolis based products are your destination. Propolis is produced by bees by mixing their saliva and nectar collected from flowers. They use this resin to fill the gaps in their beehives. This propolis gives strength to the beehives; protect it from bacteria and fungus attack, and also from the harsh weather condition.
When it comes to human skin benefit, propolis aids the nourishment, moisture, honey glow, calms the inflamed skin, helps in building the skin barrier and is absolutely safe for sensitive and acne prone skin. I have very dry skin and if I use oil a face oils, I start getting pimples; so during the dry weather condition, propolis serums are my skin saviour.
Presently the 2 best propolis products that are must try for that extra nourishment and glow are:
- By Wishtrend Polyphenol In Propolis 15% Ampoule.
- Benton Aloe Propolis Soothing Gel.
5. Ginseng: Ginseng is extensively used in Korean food as well as skincare. Ginseng when applied on the skin, help reduce free radical damage since it is rich in antioxidants. It also adds the glow to the skin as it improves the blood circulation on skin, helps firm the skin and provide the nutrition.
So, if you are dealing with dull dry skin or have saggy skin or want to safely start your anti-aging routine, go get the ginseng enriched product. In case, you are allergic to bees or on a Vegan Life, consider ginseng as an amazing alternative to propolis, but this might make a hole in your wallet, as usually, ginseng rich skincare products are very costly.
Before you decide to jump on a ginseng bandwagon, I highly recommend the Ginseng line from the brand “I’m From”:
- I’m from Ginseng Serum.
- I’m From Ginseng Mask.